Enjoy this recipe after reading Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten. We have several more Miss Bindergarten activities, like a painted class self-portrait. To see all our Miss Bindergarten activities, click here.
Miss Bindergarten gives each of her students an apple as a special snack on the first day of kindergarten. Kids will love stirring together cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon, and filling the cored apples with the yummy mixture. Roasting the filled apples transforms them into the perfect autumn snack or dessert.
When I first started testing this recipe, I wanted to have a microwave-baked apple in addition to the oven-baked version for the option of a much shorter cooking time, but it just couldn't compare. Once prepared in the oven these reheat very well, so you might want to make extras! When ready to eat, just microwave for about 1 minute.
For each serving you need:
- 1 apple (any color or type you like, we used Gala)
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of cinnamon
- Using a melon-baller, scoop out the core of the apple(s), but leave the bottom intact.
- Stir together the cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon.
- Fill the cored apples with cranberry mixture.
- Slowly drizzle honey into apple center, over cranberry mixture, allowing honey to settle through mixture.
- Place apple(s) in a baking dish, cover, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the apple is tender.
More Miss Bindergarten coming up! Don't miss a single activity: sign up for e-mail updates here.