- Newspaper for covering painting area
- White construction paper
- orange tempera paint
- items for making texture in the paint – plastic utensils, old toothbrush, pieces of crumpled plastic wrap, etc.
- Cover the painting area with newspaper.
- Set out 3-4 sheets of white construction paper on the newspaper, a container of orange paint, paintbrushes, and texture tools.
- Painting is always fun and this project is all about thick, wet paint. Ask your reader to completely cover a sheet of paper with orange paint and then go back and use the texture tools in the wet paint. The key is for the paint to be thick enough for the texture to show up. Again, there is no right or wrong outcome so just enjoy the process!
- Allow the paint to dry completely, probably overnight due to the thickness of the tempera.
- Ask you reader to use a black crayon to draw large pumpkins on the orange painted paper. Odd shaped circles are great!
- Add stems and any other details your reader might think of to complete the Big Pumpkin patch.