adapted from Itty Bitty Bistro's Honey Whole Wheat Crackers.
- 1 cup whole wheat, or white whole wheat, flour
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup water
- In a food processor, place the flour, wheat germ, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and honey. Process until combined.
- Cut the two tablespoons of butter into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add cubed butter and water to flour mixutre. Pulse until a ball of dough forms.
- Form dough into a rough disk (use a spatula to get out all the dough so you can use the food processor again for the hummus without washing it!).
- Wrap the dough in plastic and place in the fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to about 1/4- to 1/8 inch thick.
- Using 2" and 2.5" biscuit-cutters, cut out rounds, dipping cutters in flour as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Place on a cookie sheet. Using a fork, lightly score the dough a few times (without going all the way through).
- Bake about 20 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp.
Sweet Potato Hummus
adapted from Whole Living's Sweet Potato Hummus.
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- (Note: this step can be done before-hand. After cooking, refrigerate until read to use. Fill a medium sized saucepan half-full with water. Bring to a boil. Place cut sweet potatoes in boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- In a food processor, place the chickpeas; cooked sweet potatoes; tahini; oil; water, lemon juice or vinegar; and garlic. Process about 1 minute until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Now, assemble the hummus and crackers into spiders: Spider Crackers with Sweet Potato Hummus, Part 2
Sign up for e-mail updates here.