What is better way to spend International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day than making dog biscuits? Kids will love seeing the results of their efforts: the wagging tail and licking lips of the family pooch. If you don't have a canine companion, your local animal shelter might accept these to share with their current residents.
Peanut Butter Dog Bones
Recipe adapted from Three Dog Bakery Cookbook.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup peanut butter (preferably no salt added)
- 1 cup skim milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix peanut butter and milk on LOW speed until well combined.
- Add baking powder and flour and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick.
- If you have a bone-shaped cookie cutter, use that to cut out the shapes. You can also use a cookie cutter in another shape, or cut into squares using a pizza cutter or butter knife.
- Place treats on greased cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool, and store in an airtight container.