This week's recipe, while not derived directly from the story of Inch by Inch, was inspired by the colors of the illustrations. The book is filled with all shades of green, from the vibrant lime green leaves to the apple green inchworm. And so, we have Green Wraps.
Making the wraps couldn't be simpler: start with spinach wraps, then fill them with as many green foods that you and your reader can think of. In the mood for something sweet? How about celery, green apple, and green grape? Or savory? Try guacamole, lettuce, and green bell pepper. Make a game of looking for green foods at the grocery or farmers markets, then pile them on and wrap it up!
Green Food Ideas (a selection from Eating by Color):
- green apple
- mashed peas
- green bell pepper
- green pears
- green beans
- sliced cucumbers
Celery, Green Apple, and Green Grape Wraps
For each wrap you need:
- 1 spinach wrap
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise, ricotta, plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green grapes
- about 1/4 cup shredded green apple
- Spread mayo, ricotta, or yogurt on wrap.
- Sprinkle celery, grapes and apple over wrap.
- Roll wrap up tightly, slice in half, and serve!