When Lucy and Fred realise that they have been ignoring McDuff, they make him his favorite treat of vanilla rice pudding with sausages. Our recipe leaves out the sausages, but it is so delicious that even McDuff wouldn't miss them!
Young readers can help measure the rice and milk into the saucepan, stir together the egg mixture and then add it to the pot, and stir the pudding as it cooks.
McDuff's Favorite Rice Pudding
adapted from Lightened Rice Pudding.
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan combine rice and 2 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until rice is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- While rice cooks, stir or whisk together sugar, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, and remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the rice.
To make it easy for little ones, have them use a measuring cup to add about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. It will take about 5 minutes; the pudding will coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly and serve warm, or chill and serve cold.