In Eating the Alphabet, the H fruit is Huckleberry. Huckleberries are rather hard to come by where we live, so we chose to feature herbs, which are so plentiful now, with the perfect taste that goes so well with fresh fruits and vegetables.
This recipe is basically a fresh, healthy Ranch dressing, with a yogurt rather than mayo base.
Creamy Fresh Herb Salad Dressing
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
A fun activity to do with young readers is drying herbs. Its the introduction to preserving fresh food for later use.
Sourced from WikiHow.
- Wash and dry herbs. Snip leaves from stems.
- Lay out 2 stacked paper towels. Lay out some leaves on half of the paper towel.
- Fold another paper towel in half and place over first layer of herbs. Lay out another layer of leaves.
- Bring other half of first 2 paper towels to cover.
- Allow to dry 2-3 days until crumbly. Store in a zippered plastic bag or plastic container.