adapted from King Arthur Flour.
Makes 10-12 5-inch pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Extra oil or nonstick spray for the pan
- Zest lemon, then halve and juice.
- In a bowl combine eggs, milk, vanilla, honey lemon zest, and lemon juice. Whisk until very frothy, about 2 minutes. Stir in oil.
- Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in to wet ingredients until just combined. The batter will be rather lumpy, but that's just fine. Allow the batter to sit for a few minutes while the skillet or griddle heats.
- Heat a large, lightly-oiled skillet over medium-low heat (or griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet for each pancake, and top with 1 tablespoons blueberries. Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook until other side is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup, or top with a glaze of a bit of lemon juice, powdered sugar and milk!
Lemon Juice Invisible Ink
This activity is part art, part science and a whole lot of fun.
- 1 lemon
- cutting board
- bowl for lemon juice
- iron and ironing board