These cheese whole wheat snack crackers are yummy enough to keep all the mice in Mr. Slinger's class and your own young reader happy and munching away. We made them star shaped, of course, to celebrate our fabulous Lilly, but they work great in any shape you choose.
Don't be fooled by their rather bland color: these pack a incredibly cheesy taste. If you use an orange colored cheddar the crackers will have a more familiar goldfish or Cheese-It color.
Cheesy Snack Crackers
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (as always, we used white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fit a food processor with the shredding blade. Shred the cheese, then place in a bowl.
- Place oats in the food processor fitted with the chopping blade, and process until ground into a fine "oat flour".
- Add remaining ingredients, including cheese, to the oats in the food processor. Process until all ingredients are well combined about 2 minutes. The dough should form a ball when pressed together.
If the dough seems very soft, place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick on a well floured surface. Using a small cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or glass, cut out crackers and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until just turning golden brown.
Related Post: The Very Busy Spider's Spider Crackers with Sweet Potato Hummus.