Although it's dark and delicious, don't be afraid of this chocolaty pudding treat. Made with skim milk and antioxidant-packed cocoa, this is a Halloween treat that isn't scary, just like Moonlight!
Young Readers in the Kitchen
The pre-stovetop measuring and whisking steps are perfect for children to complete. Once the pudding is on the stove the adult helper will have to take over, but more advanced young chefs might be able to whisk as it slowly cooks and thickens.
Black as Moonlight Chocolate Pudding
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals (optional)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and instant coffee crystals (if using). Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Place pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. This will take about 6 to 8minutes. Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place egg in a bowl and lightly beat. Slowly stir in about 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture and whisk to combine. Return egg mixture to saucepan with remaining pudding. Continue cooking over low heat 2 minutes more.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve warm, or transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
Related Recipe: Did you and your young reader like this pudding recipe? McDuff's favortie treat is rice pudding with sausage! We've recreated the recipe, minus the sausage of course!