Fletcher returns from seeing a magical sight to enjoy a warm breakfast. Here's a simply delicious breakfast for you to make with your young reader: French Toast Sticks with Roasted Apples.
Young Readers in the Kitchen
Kids can stir together the egg mixture, and then soak the bread slice for the French Toast. Once the apples are sliced, tossing them in the sugar and cinnamon is the perfect job for little hands.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 slice whole wheat sandwich bread
- Beat eggs, milk, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Soak each side of bread in egg mixture.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Add bread and cook each side until golden.
- Slice into sticks, and serve with maple syrup, or spread with fruited honey, sweet potato butter, or cherry almond butter.
Serves 2. Adapted from this recipe.
- 2 apples
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- sprinkling of cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir together sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Slice each apple into 4 or 6 pieces. Add to bowl with cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
- Place apples on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.