You can't read Pumpkin Soup without making Pumpkin Soup! Our recipe has the secret ingredient of a little peanut butter, which adds just enough saltiness to balance the sweetness of the pumpkin.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (canned or homemade, leftover from your pie)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, water, peanut butter, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Stir until thickened, and all peanut butter has melted into the soup, about 3-5 minutes.
- You might need to thin the soup a bit with the skim milk.