Pooh's Honey Oat Quick Bread
Recipe adapted from Eating Well.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, or quick-cooking (not instant) oats, divided
- 2 1/3 cups white whole-wheat flour (or use half white, half whole-wheat flour)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces (scant 1 cup) plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan, or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the oats into loaf pan.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, yogurt, egg, oil, honey, and milk.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture. Stir until just mixed (you might have to use your hands!)
- Pour batter into loaf pan, and spread to edges. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of oats on top of batter.
- Place bread in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan and cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy with fruited 'hunny'!