Inspired by Olivia's tri-color illustrations and the nice dinner Mother serves after the trip to the museum, we created this Black, White and Red Spaghetti recipe to prepare and share with your young readers.
Young chefs will be eager to help rinse the beans and then to stir them into the prepared sauce. They can add the final touches to their scrumptious creation by topping the spaghetti with the crumbled feta cheese. Bon Appetit!
Olivia's Black, White and Red Spaghetti
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 6 ounces dry spaghetti, preferably whole wheat
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- In a medium saucepan combine tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will thicken into sauce.
- Drain black beans in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Add beans to tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Combine pasta and sauce. Sprinkle feta over the top of the pasta.