This recipe was inspired by The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear. To learn more about the book and see our other activities for this book, click here.
The Little Mouse tries several ways secure his Red Ripe Strawberry from the Big Hungry Bear, including locking it up with a heavy chain, burying it, and dressing it and inviting it to tea.
We've taken the extra precaution of hiding our own strawberries between two slices of lightly toasted bread spread with honey-sweetened and cinnamon-spiced whipped cream cheese. Surely a bear would never think of looking there! For extra precaution, we followed the example set in the book and consumed the sandwiches containing the precious berries posthaste after assembling!
Young Readers in the Kitchen
Depending on age and cooking skill-level, kids can help:
- Toast the bread slices
- Measure Whipped Cream Cheese ingredients into food processor
- Spread cream cheese onto bread slices
- Wash strawberries
- Arrange sliced strawberries on bread
Red Ripe Strawberry Sandwiches with Whipped Cream Cheese
Whipped Cream Cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 strawberries
To make the Whipped Cream Cheese:
- In a food processor combine cream cheese and milk. Whip about 30 seconds until smooth and light, scraping down sides to ensure the milk is well incorporated. Add cinnamon, honey, and vanilla and process until combined.
- Lightly toast bread slices.
- Wash strawberries and thinly slice.
- Divide whipped cream cheese among the 4 sliced of bread.
- Divide strawberries between two pieces of bread.
- Top strawberries with a second slice of bread. For added ease in handling, sliced each sandwich in half.