All sorts of melon are in season right now, so experiment with this recipe for a cool and refreshing drink. Try watermelon (like we did), cantaloupe, or honeydew melon, or try all three and see which one is your favorite!
Melon Agua Fresca
Adapted from Southern Living.
Makes about 5 cups.
- 4 cups cubed melon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- In a blender combine melon and sugar and blend until smooth. You might need to scrape down the sides to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Pour pureed melon through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. Discard solids.
- Stir water into melon juice and chill until ready to serve.
A Slice of Collage
Nothing says summer like a slice of sweet, juicy watermelon. Gather a few basic supplies and have fun cutting, coloring and gluing to make a collage that will look good enough to eat!
- Construction paper
- Paper plate
- Pink tissue paper
- Black marker
- Cut the paper plate in half.
- Cut the inside circle out of one half of the plate.
- Color the rim piece green and glue to the sheet of construction paper.
- Tear pieces of pink construction paper.
- Fill the inside of the paper plate rim with glue.
- Stick the torn pieces of tissue paper to the glue inside the paper plate rim.
- Allow the tissue paper to dry.
- Using the black marker, add dots to the tissue paper to represent seeds, then use crayons to add details to the picture.