Cheesy Snack Crackers
This recipe was inspired by "the most tasty snacks- things that were curly and crunchy and cheesy" in Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse. Learn about the book and see all our Lilly activities here.
These cheese whole wheat snack crackers are yummy enough to keep all the mice in Mr. Slinger's class and your own young reader happy and munching away. We made them star shaped, of course, to celebrate our fabulous Lilly, but they work great in any shape you choose.
Don't be fooled by their rather bland color: these pack a incredibly cheesy taste. If you use an orange colored cheddar the crackers will have a more familiar goldfish or Cheese-It color.
Cheesy Snack Crackers
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (as always, we used white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fit a food processor with the shredding blade. Shred the cheese, then place in a bowl.
- Place oats in the food processor fitted with the chopping blade, and process until ground into a fine "oat flour".
- Add remaining ingredients, including cheese, to the oats in the food processor. Process until all ingredients are well combined about 2 minutes. The dough should form a ball when pressed together.
If the dough seems very soft, place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick on a well floured surface. Using a small cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or glass, cut out crackers and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until just turning golden brown.
Related Post: The Very Busy Spider's Spider Crackers with Sweet Potato Hummus.
These look super yummy, I've shared them on the Kids Co-op Facebook page. Must make a mental note not to visit your blog while hungry. Off to raid the fridge now.
Posted by: The Monko | Aug 25, 2012 at 04:25 PM
These snack crackers look like a great idea to make for my kids! They would absolutely love them and since school is starting they can share them with their friends. Thanks for a great recipe, it will come in handy.
Posted by: Cuisinart Parts | Aug 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM
This has been one of our favorite treats to make. Hope you enjoy all the stirring and snacking! They would be perfect in a lunchbox!
Posted by: Lexie | Aug 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM