Drawing inspiration from the round shapes and black and white color palate in Kitten’s First Full Moon, we couldn’t resist making an activity that incorporated both elements. Using the most basic of art supplies, your reader will make a Kitten mask to use when reading the book, acting out the story or gazing at the full moon.
Kitten's First Full Moon Mask
- 2 paper plates
- black crayon
- black yarn
- wooden stick – paper stirrer, tongue depressor or popsicle stick work well
- Cut two round holes in one of the paper plates for eye-holes.
- Use the black crayon to color around the outside edge of the paper plate.
- Fold the second paper plate in half then cut a triangle shape off one end of the folded plate.
- Open the triangle and cut along the fold line to make 2 triangles.
- Use the black crayon to color around the outside edges of both triangles.
- Staple the two triangles on the top of the first paper plate to make Kitten’s ears.
- Use the black crayon to make Kitten’s nose and mouth.
- Tape the wooden stick to the back of the paper plate.
- Cut four lengths of black yarn to make Kitten’s whiskers.
- Squeeze two lines of glue on either side of Kitten’s nose and press a length of yarn onto each line of glue.
glue to dry.
Related Post: Need another animal mask? Try our Little Mouse Mask craft!