This art project was inspired by The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything. To learn more about the book and see all of our Little Old Lady activities, click here.
Inspired by the little old lady's walk in the forest to gather herbs and spices nuts and seeds, here's a recipe to mix up a batch of scarecrow trail mix. Pull the elements for the story together and add a dash of imagination as you gather ingredients that will keep scary things away during this frightful season: shredded wheat cereal becomes the scarecrow's straw stuffing, while spiced pumpkin seeds come straight from the pumpkin head; nuts were collected from the forest by the little old lady, and we added sweetened cranberries to round out this seasonal mix.
While it's delicious on it's own for a snack, it also makes a scrumptious breakfast with a splash of milk or almond milk.
Scarecrow Trail Mix
makes about 1 1/2 cups, although easily doubled or tripled!
- 1 cup frosted shredded wheat cereal
- 1/4 cup spiced pumpkin or squash seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Have young readers break up cereal biscuits into small pieces and place in a bowl (more practice for fine motor skills!), while you coarsely chop almonds. Pour almonds into the bowl with the broken cereal.
- Add seeds and cranberries and stir to combine.