While not dragon-fire-roasted, we're fairly sure these tasty and nutritious fall-flavored kabobs are on the menu at the K&D Bar-B-Q. We hear they're a bit hit with the vegetarian knights and princesses (and of course young readers)!
Roasting in the oven makes these a perfect snack or side, even in the colder months when it's too chilly to grill. A simple yogurt dipping sauce is easily mixed together while the kabobs are baking.
Young Readers in the Kitchen
Kids can thread potato and apple pieces on to the skewers, and measure and mix up the yogurt dipping sauce.
Knight and Dragon Kabobs
- 2 small or 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 large apple
- Cinnamon Yogurt Dipping Sauce (recipe below)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash sweet potatoes and apple and dry. Prick sweet potatoes several times with a fork, and place on a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave on high 2 minutes. Allow sweet potatoes to cool until they can be handled comfortably.
- Core apple. Cut potatoes and apple into roughly 1 inch cubes. Thread sweet potato and apple cubes onto skewers(we used about 5).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn oven up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 10 more minutes, until tender and slightly browned at edges.
- Remove sweet potato and apple pieces from skewer before serving to children. Serve with Cinnamon Yogurt Dipping Sauce.
Cinnamon Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 5.3 ounce container nonfat Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together all ingredients until combined.