Have a roaring good time playing with your food when making this Library Lion Pasta. Basic pasta-and-tomato sauce is transformed into something special when forming the lion's mane.
After the pasta is topped with the sauce, let young readers spoon it around a toasted sandwich round. Add features with any spare ingredients you have on hand.
Library Lion Pasta
Ingredients for Pasta
- 12 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 jar tomato pasta sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and top with pasta sauce.
To Make a Lion
- Toast a sandwich round. Lightly butter (this would also make good garlic bread). Place sandwich round in the middle of a large plate.
- Spoon pasta around outside edges of sandwich round to make the mane.
- Get creative when making the features on your lion. We used sliced olives for eyes (from a veggie pizza in the fridge!) , a sundried tomato for a nose, chow mein noodle wiskers, pieces of string cheese for the mouth, and slices of baby carrots for the ears.